Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dreams

I feel like my blog has been getting into a bit of a rut lately, so today I'm doing something different. The first thing that popped into my head was to write about pizza, but I couldn't think about anything particularly interesting to say. I think I might just be hungry...

So you have been spared my classic essay, On Pizza Metaphysics. Instead, I'm going to write about dreams. Not the "last night I built a go-cart racer with my ex-landlord and a giant gopher" kind of dreams, more the "here are some crazy things I've always thought it would be amazing to do or learn before I die" kind.

What? Don't tell me you never dream about giant gophers every now and then...

Anyway, in no particular order, here are some of them. I'm only going to write down the more "out there" ones. I may never do any of these, but I think its important that we nurture the meaningful whispers in our hearts, especially when they're unreasonable:

- I've always wanted to learn to work with and forge metal. I would love to have a small forge, to know how to combine different kinds of metals to get different properties, and make all kinds of useful and artistic stuff. Ideally, some day I want to design and forge my own sword.

- Study martial arts in a remote mountain temple.

- I've always wanted to learn to start a fire without matches. I think I understand the technique pretty well, I just need to spend some time practicing. You just never know when that would come in handy...

- Sing lead vocals and write songs for a really fantastically amazing jazz/funk fusion band. I'd also love to learn to play jazz piano, but that's actually more within reach if I get my lazy ass in gear.

- Join a swing dancing team that travels and competes around the world, and also just hangs out and hosts really cool dances for fun.

- Buy and renovate an old caste in Spain or Scotland or somewhere along those lines. I'd love to keep as much of the grounds and stonework intact as possible, and bring in a landscaper to create gardens and peaceful sitting areas around the ruins. I'd renovate the inside of the main keep into a really comfortable home with lots of hardwood and some big fireplaces (with central heating and modern fixtures though). Oh, but no stupid antenna or satellite dish sticking up off the roof like a bad hair day, that's just lame.

- Star in a blockbuster fantasy/sci-fi action film.

- Spend some time sailing, diving, and fishing in the Indian Ocean. Just not in the monsoon season...

- Learn at least 3 languages other than English.

- Participate in the archeological excavation of an ancient ruins that changed the way we understand human history. It would be ok with me if we discovered fabulous treasure vaults too.

- Visit the bottom of the Mariana Trench. I'm so curious about what might be down there.

So those are the things I'm thinking of at the moment. I'm trying to get into the habit about talking about some of the crazy dreams and desires that surface from time to time. A lot of these things have been dreams of mine since I was a kid. What are some of the things you used to dream about? If you want to dust them off again, I'd love to hear about them. Who knows, maybe someday we can actually cross some of them off our lists.

1 comments:

Courtney said...

I love this. They are so specific. I like how you have planned out what you're going to do with that castle. That's beautiful. I also like how you said lazy ass :)