Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A loss for words

I made a discovery today.

I've always known that after a long stretch of being around people, I need to get some space and "re-charge" for a bit. At the same time, one of my favorite ways to relax is to spend time with someone, or maybe a few people at most, just hanging out in the same room. There's something really comforting about sharing the same space with people you enjoy and care about.

So, my discovery today is that I don't think I've been needing breaks from people all these years, not directly at least. I realized that what I need is to take breaks from speaking.

I haven't said a word out loud all day, and its been kind of wonderful. I think I just need time every now and then to escape into my own head for awhile. That's the great part about really close relationships. People that know you that well are ok with just being together, doing whatever we're each doing, barely talking.

3 comments:

A Traveling Girl said...

or IM-ing each other in the other room... < ;-) >

Mrs. Waldher said...

thank you for differentiating between presence and voice. There are times for speaking, voicing ones thoughts and opinions, then there are other times when ones presence alone is all that is needed. I wonder how often our Creator in Heaven does this with us. When he just wants to be with us, not speaking, just being and enjoying our company... hmm....

The Morrigan said...

That sounds glorious. *smiles*