Sunday, September 14, 2008

Edinburgh

I decided yesterday that I really, really want to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival next year.

For those of you who don't know, the Fringe is one of the largest (if not the largest) independent music and performing arts festival in the world. It's held in Edinburgh, Scotland every August, when nearly 19,000 performers in hundreds of venues across the city perform innovative, even cutting edge pieces. I went several years ago with my family, and it was absolutely amazing. Crazy dance routines, singing groups, this quartet of crazy marimba players, and one of the best guitarists I've ever seen. There's also a ton of theater, comedy, etc. and a good many shows are performed free.

While the Fringe is going on, the streets of Edinburgh fill with buskers, food stalls, street performers, and tons of people from all around the world.

So, here is my proposal: I've figured that if I set aside $50-$75 every month from now until next August, and maybe work some extra hours or a few odd jobs, I'll have enough by next year to buy tickets and stay in Edinburgh for 1-2 weeks during the Fringe. Hostels are a great, cheap (and surprisingly comfortable) option, and food is reasonable. The point is, it's really workable, and I'm going to do it.

And here is my pitch: Anyone who wants to go on an adventure with me is invited. I'm being very serious about this. The Fringe runs from August 7th-30th next year, so I'm thinking that even people who have classes starting really early could go for at least a week. So, if anyone would like to dream with me about taking a trip of a lifetime, let me know, cause I'm starting to plan.

Here are some photos to entice you:




1 comments:

Janelle said...

Let's go.

PS, we have some things to talk about sometime soon... some pretty cool ideas popping up about travels next summer. Don't forget our deal. :)