Monday, June 23, 2008

The Changing Shape of Seasons

Something I've been thinking a lot lately: growing up.

In years past I've thought more about the parts of growing up that effect me. Job, relationships, my own family some day. But lately I've been reflecting on the part of growing up that effects the people in your life. It's such a significant shift in so many ways, that I've seen how it begins to play out in your important relationships.

Take my relationship with my parents, for example. This year at home has been intense and amazing. I came into it relating to them primarily as their child still, and I'm coming out of it relating to them more as a peer in many ways.

I think its a subtle thing, but important. I've talked with them about things I've observed in their marriage. I used to ask their permission for things that I now ask their perspective on. And in a lot of ways, I've noticed how much more active my spiritual and relational radar is for our family. In the past those are the kinds of things I would have expected them to keep track of. How is the family doing? Do we need to stand together to pray for something or someone? I'm noticing and taking responsibility for those things in ways I never would have a few years ago.

So now that question I've been wrestling with is, how do I healthily and fully step into the dynamics of this new season, without cutting myself off from the amazing insight and perspective I'm privileged to have from friends and family? It feels like a strange tension to walk out. I suppose that all of the various dynamics of this very new phase of life as things I just need to walk out as I become aware of them.

For those of you in a similar season shift who read this blog, how have you been experiencing this transition? Any specific areas, responsibilities, or challenges that you're particularly aware of right now? I'd love to hear about them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I find myself in a changing season as well, in my relationship with my kids, as well as other fronts. Amazing how virtually every dimension of our relationship has been or is being re-defined. It takes real effort and intentionality to tune in, to recognize when you've related based on old grooved patterns that no longer fit, to circle back around, do it better or differently next time, or even to simply say "I'm sorry" and ask forgiveness for botching up the last round. Hard work, and so easy to find reasons not to go there. But so well worth it. Like discovering a new best friend. Or two.