Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Downside of Being Your Own Boss

I did not get my work done today.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had a good excuse, but honestly I was just being lazy. I really hate the feeling of looking back over my day, knowing that I could had gotten 3-4 hours of solid work in but I just...didn't.

One of the biggest challenges of working for myself has been learning to manage my own work rhythms. When things are normal I can get into a groove and be surprisingly productive for long stretches of time. But I'm still learning how to get back into that groove quickly after some downtime or a vacation like last weekend's festivities.

I suppose it's a good sign that I'm frustrated about this much sooner than I used to be. When I was still in school it sometimes took me a week or more to get myself motivated to work after coming home from breaks. But still, here we are at the end of the day and I'm frustrated with myself, and very aware that I could have been writing a "wow I can't believe how much I got done today" kind of post if I had just sat down and done my work.

Tomorrow morning I intend to do just that. I'll write about it tomorrow (which I'm saying mostly so that I have something hanging over my head, haha)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*smiles* I'm proud of you, sweetie. That realization is a part of the process.

Love

Unknown said...

Fickle! How are you?! So, I have recently joined the blogging crowd and I suggest you add my blog to your list. Bikerunendure.blogspot.com. It is geared towards fitness and health. I don't really care if you don't enjoy that but you need to add me anyway :) Take care!!

gabriel said...

Yeah... it's tough to stay on task when you're the only one. Hang in there! Like 'B' said, this is part of the process... and it's good that you noticed.

Have you thought about adding some sort of accountability relationship? One way would be to find someone else who is self-employed... and agree to hold each other accountable. I've also heard of this organization called 'Vanguard' that has these people called 'Personal Coaches.' Have you heard of it?

*gabe ducks*

:-)

Dahveed said...

Yeah yeah it's all part of the process, every week you realize that it's a bit harder or worse than you thought but what if it just keeps not getting better. You can start by working on being ok with 1 or 2 solid hours instead of 5 or 6. Oh wait, are we down to 3 or 4 hours now? Ok so the process is already working there somewhere...@ least there's movement.

besitos