Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Sister Is A HUGE DORKI

Public Service Announcement:

I hereby announce to the entire world (the one's who read my blog anyway...) that, as per the subject line of this post, my sister is a HUGE DORK! She has been blogging for nearly a month and has not mentioned this fact. Now that she said something she has been removed from the list of shame and added to my blog roll, but I couldn't let it pass without tossing a lame bomb in her direction.

With that said, I've read her first few posts and I'm floored....my sister needs to just be a writer or something. I'll carry her bags to big conventions and stuff.

Also, I am going to need to start looking for new people to mock on my list of shame....

Serious Blog Section:

I've often thought about how strange it is that we live as if we can plan and predict our lives. We talk about what we're going to do next month or next week so often. Usually we actually do those things, but it's just been striking me that all of the important events that have had lasting impact on my life have been unexpected. Most of them I couldn't have anticipated even the day before.

Here I am in Texas, for example. I didn't even know half of the people here until I came down for the Vanguard conference in June. I was not even thinking about leaving home at that point, but here I am.

Despite how this may sound, this isn't a depressing or paralyzing thought for me. Quite the opposite, actually. I find it thrilling and it gives me hope.

Do you ever get that feeling that life is always going to be just like this, forever. That kind of slightly hopeless, listless, restless feeling? Or do you ever think about something that you want so badly you think you'll go crazy because you know with 100% certainty that you're never going to get it? I do.

But then I remind myself that the really significant parts of my life, be they beautiful or painful, have always come from out of the blue, the day after I thought nothing would ever change.

Who knows, maybe you're just five minutes away from meeting that special person for the first time, or reconnecting with someone you met years ago and never developed a friendship with.

Maybe tomorrow morning you'll wake up with that one amazing idea that will change life as you know it and send you hurtling in an unexpected direction.

Maybe tomorrow will be just another day.

I guess that's what makes life an adventure worth sticking around for =).

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Pfft. I don't see why it's a big deal... I just wanted to get started without making a fuss. But thank you for the compliment. Anyway, even if I am a dork, at least I know that it's a hereditary trait.

Courtney said...

Beautiful thoughts on life. I agree. I think some of the things that impact us the most or are most important to us just came from nowhere (not really nowhere, but you know what I mean.) :)