Thursday, April 17, 2008

Friendship, Part 1

Wow, its been more than a week since I posted something. Things have been rather hectic on the home front, but I'll try to keep things more consistent here.

So let's see. I've been thinking a lot about friendship lately. How important it is, how fragile it can be, and how strong. It's really pretty amazing if you stop to think about it, kind of like water. It takes so many different forms. Sometimes it seems invincible, other times its just evaporating in front of you.

The thing that I just don't understand is how we humans seem to inevitably hurt the people we're closest to and care the most about. You'd think it should be the other way around. I guess it makes sense, in that you can only be hurt deeply by someone you love deeply, but the part that confuses me is that it seems like the hurt is always delivered at some point, in some way.

I guess I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with this fact lately. Like I said to a friend recently, "it's like I'm the proverbial bull in the emotional china shop." Most of the time it's because I just completely fail to connect the dots and realize "oh hey, maybe that might not make so-and-so very happy". Sometimes I'm just a selfish asshole for a while. But the hard thing is knowing full well you're going to hurt someone, and doing it anyway because you know that what you're doing is the right thing, even if it hurts.

Anyway, if you're reading this and I've ever done something thoughtless, insensitive, or selfish that caused you pain, I'm truly sorry. I can only take comfort in the fact that God and Time are bigger than me, big enough to heal and restore.

1 comments:

The Morrigan said...

Beautiful. *smiles*

--B