Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Freewriting Again

It's been awhile since I've posted anything new. I'm getting ready to move to DC in two weeks, and I spent the last one in Charlottesville with some of my favorite people (both of which deserve their own posts at some point soon). In the meantime I thought I'd post some of the freewrites I've been doing recently. It's been really encouraging and just plain fun to be writing again for the sheer enjoyment of it, rather than to try and make progress on some part of my novel. I've noticed that my writing has been getting a bit more abstracted lately, which I like. Perhaps it has something to do with my own growth in this last season? Anyway here's one of my favorites:

There are no hands

There are no hands, only empty spaces

There are no feet, only bruised words

There are no swords, no plowshares, only twisted metal ripped from the earth


There are no children, only the endless becoming of more


For we slake our thirst in unwonted fountains, and feed our hunger with stolen gumdrops. We are the movers and shakers.


Like the vagabond, ragweed, tumbledown thistles, we leave no trace of our comings or goings. We will not be chained, only held with promises. We kill with our music and bless with our silent stares. We take no bread. Only the fruit of the earth sustains us, and it is infinite.


For lo, there will come a time, a silent moment, when all that was will be again, and all that will be shall endure. The earth will surrender to our pantomime, and in our sticky fingers we will hold the seeds of ages like pearls before swine. We will be the endless grains of sand, and the sun will smell our dreams like fragrant dewdrops.


All that you know is changing.

All that you hoped for has come.


1 comments:

Joel said...

I like this. It's ominous--even more so in its occasional faux innocence and cruel optimism. It makes me think of investment bankers and the other lords of free market capitalism.

No hands, no feet, no children, no plowshares, no swords, no bread--this is the future we've crafted and aren't we proud?

At least that's how this hits me. Thanks for giving me language for those feelings.