Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rain

There is something very satisfying about working inside by a window while it's raining. I'm settled in the big blue chair that Jonathan and I man-handled downstairs and into my room (it was a very impressive process...).

It's quiet.

I've finally got a clean living space with books on shelves and stuff on the walls. Pretty much everything where I want it to be. It's been a while since I could say that.

Maybe what I love so much about being inside and comfortable when it's raining is that it makes me just a little more aware of the space that I'm in. I hear the steady beat of the water on the glass, and every once and a while I look up and think "I'm glad I'm not outside." Then I smile when I think about all the poor schmoes who have to be somewhere. Maybe I'm just mean.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that rainy weather highlights and intensifies wherever I happen to be at the moment. My physical space and emotional state. Not too long ago, I would have told you that rainy days left me restless and depressed. These day's I've found them very relaxing and enjoyable.

I guess that means I'm settling into a healthier place, as I keep defining my own space in this new season. Learning to be more comfortable with silence, now that I've looked at some of what silence kept bringing to the surface that had been causing me to avoid it.

It's nice being more comfortable in my own skin. My own room. My own plans for the future. Even my own challenges and growth areas to face into.

I could get used to this.

2 comments:

A Traveling Girl said...

read through your blog. It's great to get a fresh window into your thinking process and evolution.

I especially liked your rain entry. I think we are so used to hearing the song "rainy days & Monday's always get me down..." (you might be too young!) and start believing that rainy days are to be put up with. I for one was glad to read about you deciding to sit in your blue chair and enjoy what comes your way.

Meg said...

Justy, i just read through your entries and I really like what I'm hearing.

I totally agree about the power good storytelling has, and I'm excited to hear you're coming back to the heart of writing in your life!! As I've read different authors, and been impacted by all sorts of mediums of art, be it movies, music, visual art or writing, the common denomenator of them all are when the artist is true to him/herself and they stop trying to be something, and just are. It seems like it's often helpful to go back to the beginning.

Keep writing. Keep experimenting. I'm enjoying just hearing where you're at, with writing, and rain, and everything. Your comment about the schmoes out slogging through the rain, is something I could hear Calvin saying. I love the honesty I'm hearing from you in all your posts. Keep it coming.