Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Importance of Story

"Think about it: we read fiction not just to see ourselves, but to imagine ourselves as we might be. When we recognize ourselves in the characters of a novel, we are gratified. We identify with them. But that is just the beginning. If self recognition was all we wanted from fiction, we would be satisfied with letters, journals, and statistical surveys of the population at large. But we are not satisfied with those things.

We crave stories, particularly the intensely intimate form of story called the novel. That is because the novel, uniquely among art forms, presents powerful points of view, strong conflicts and a helping of human life that affirms a higher truth. Characters in breakout fiction may seem realistic, even average, but they are bigger than their circumstances. They do not just suffer, but strive. They do not practice patience, but act. They do not merely survive, they endure."

Donald Maass - Writing the Breakout Novel


That is a selection from a book by one of the most influential literary voices in my life these days. Donald Maass is a literary agent (as well as an author himself) in New York, and the book I quoted from is his exploration of what separates the "good writing" from the stories you can't seem to put down at 3am when you've got a final exam the next morning. Its a interesting, fun read if you feel up for something a little different.

The perspective that he argues in the passage above, and throughout the book, is that stories matter. Not just matter, that they are essential. It's something I've been thinking about a lot.

Stories are the most common way we humans share important things with one another. If you want someone to know you better, you tell them about your past. If you want to convince someone about an important idea, you don't just explain it to them, you illustrate it with some examples. With stories.

I know this may seem like a simple thought, but I can't tell you how significant it's been for me lately. I look back to the earliest moments of recorded history, and I see language and art and music all being developed to better allow people to share the stories of their lives and hearts with each other. In a way, stories are the building block of relationships. Without exception, the people I am closest to are the ones I've shared the most stories with, and I can identify a whole list of authors who I feel I know better than people I've seen and spoken to consistently for months.

The stories we hear tell us a little bit about ourselves, and give us a safe place to explore what we see. But the stories we tell give others a window into who we are as well.

Coming to understand and name the importance of story has been encouraging in two ways.

First, it gives me a great deal of hope and excitement for the future. Values that have been lost or forgotten can be reborn in stories. Cultural difference that seem impossible to overcome can start to become understandable, even familiar, when we begin to see them in stories. And the best part is, that for the first time in centuries, we are witnessing the emergence of a new storytelling medium. Already, the internet is transforming and expanding the way we tell each other stories. Just look at youtube, or this blog for that matter. I'm looking forward to seeing the internet flourish as a storytelling medium in new and even more unique ways. Hopefully I can be a part of shaping that.

But apart from the medium, recognizing the transformative power of stories is encouraging in a larger sense. It's often easy for me to get discouraged when I look around America's cultural landscape these days. Fast, easy, disposable...you name it.

But here's the thing: we're rediscovering stories! Good ones even =). Think about it. In the '90s two of the most popular shows on tv were Friends and Seinfeld, two different takes on the "show about nothing" concept. What's popular now? Lost. Heroes. 24. A long list of really interesting stories, each of them inviting us to ask "what if that were me? What would I do there? Could I make that kind of sacrifice?" and on and on.

Believe me, I'm not at all saying that somehow Heroes is the salvation of America, wonderful as it is. What I'm saying is that modern culture's growing appetite for complex, often values based stories is a really encouraging trend. It inspires me to write even more than ever.

So, heard any good stories lately?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. :) I share your sentiments.

Jonathan Reuel said...

Good - you've got me rethinking stuff I haven't for a while, and a few new insights too. Thanks